February 4, 2009

Puerto Montt

From Chile

Puerto Montt is port city--think Long Beach, but slightly dirtier and with a German influence. I wasn't expecting a lot from Puerto Montt because it's really just a gateway for Patagonia, and I knew before my arrival that there wasn't going to be a whole lot to do.

I couldn't get an online reservation for a hostel (the only places left were overpriced private rooms), so I decided to just wing it. I hopped off the bus, got my bearings, and found a lady who owned a hospedaje. I did end up getting a very nice private room--and one that fit my budget.

I spent two days in Puerto Montt wandering the city and found it to be kind of charming. Sure, it was different from Pucon, but I got to interact more with locals. I listened to street music, bought some hippie jewerly, did laundry for the first time in two weeks, and tried to get a feel for the city.

I also met Ivan, a local artisan who does amazing work with leather. He makes these intricate works of art by burning pictures into leather and wood. We had a nice conversation in Spanish. It was weird--he mentioned something about sangre (blood) that I couldn't quite understand, until I realized it was his roundabout way of asking what my hertitage was.


From Chile

In Chile, most of the other travelers I meet think I'm Canadian, and the Chileans think I'm Japanese. And sometimes I just roll with it...The security guard had the biggest smile on his face when he greeted me with, "Konnichiwa!" Anyway, I learned a lot about what it's like living so close to the end of the world from Ivan. He told me about his life, and I told him some things about California. He made me a little leather keychain with my name carved in it as a gift to remember him by.

From Chile

Puerto Montt is also the place where I've had the best meal in Chile--a superbly prepared salmon cerviche (and it was only $5 USD). It was delicious! Other than that, the food here in Chile hasn't been all that special (apart from the fresh fruit juices). I'm holding out for Argentina.

1 comment:

cupcakesarespiffy said...

teheheeh Leese face! Love your pictures! All star weekend baby!

GO LAKERS. NBA CHAMPS 2009! <3

Love ya!