February 3, 2009

Ziplining

From Chile

If you have a taste for adventure, Pucon really does have it all. I've always wanted to go ziplining, and decided for my last day in Pucon, I'd give it a try. We took a bus through the mountains to a small lodge where they outfitted us with harnesses, helmets, and a carbiner device that connects to the cable.

All the instructions they gave us (including the safety talk) were in Spanish. The canopy operators only knew a few words in English, and enough about American politics to smile and say, "Arnold Schwartzeneger," when I told them I was from California.

After a few questions, we were ready to take off. The first canopy is a short little test. There, you get to test your stopping and slowing down ability--basically you pull on the cable gradually with your rear arm to slow down so you won't hit the tree (it's like a breaking system).

Then we moved on to the giant ziplines. I don't remember how many meters it was, but the ride was long, going from one mountain to the next. I could feel the wind violently blowing in my face, and see the the picturesque mountain and valleys below. After that, we got to ride six more cables. They set up a whole course up there. My only regret is that I wish they had let us try it upside down.

No comments: