February 5, 2009

The Edge of the World

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

I hopped a flight to Punta Arenas--the final frontier in Chile, and quite literally the edge of the world (not counting Ushuia in Argentina). I was going to do the bus thing, but I opted to fly, seeing as it would take days criss-crossing between Chile and Argentina since there are no direct roads. The other option was the Navimag, which is three days of sailing and sounded like fun, but in the interest of time and budget, flying was the best bet.

Punta Arenas is the southern most populated town in Chile. It's beautiful in its own way, but quiet and desolate. I took a walk around the boardwalk that they are constructing. It really will be something special when it's done.

It stays light outside until 11 PM this far south, and the horizon seems to go on forever. I have never seen such beautiful skies (without Photoshop)...maybe it has to do with the latitude, but the clouds are incredible here!

No comments: