February 13, 2009

El Calafate, Argentina

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Yay, I'm in Argentina! After a 5-hour bus ride and several passport inspections, I have finally made it over the border. It's weird calculating things in another currency. I was just getting used to $600 Chilean pesos to $1 U.S. dollar, now it's 3:1 with the Argentine peso.

So while it's exciting being in another country, I can't say that I'm thrilled with El Calafate. There are tourists towns, and then there are tourist traps...I should have listened to the Australian girl when she said to try to avoid El Calafate (even though from Puerto Natales it's kind of unavoidable).
Everything in El Calafate is outrageously overpriced, and there is really nothing to do. After a half day of bumming around I was ready to leave so I went back to the bus station to buy my ticket to the next place. Unfortunately, the next bus bound for Bariloche didn't leave for another three days. Ouch!

No comments: