January 28, 2009

Wine and Cricket

From Chile

I met Natalie (from San Francisco) and Aaron (from England) over a spaghetti dinner at the hostel. We spent the night sharing stories, travel talk, and getting to know each other over wine and spaghetti.

Natalie works for a non-profit environmental organization in SF, and was doing the same circuit as me in-reverse over 7 weeks. Aaron's trip is a bit longer; he doesn't even have a predetermined return date. He spent some time in Asia and is now in South America. He was the inventory manager for Jaguar--just decided it was not fulfilling and quit one day, then hopped a flight to Asia.

I decided to share the bottle I bought from Concha y Toro because the idea of traveling with it for any more days wasn't all that appealing. It had only made it 48 hours. I ended up ditching the souvineer glass too, and donated it to the hostel kitchen after I used it. No more unnecessary baggage--I'll save my souvenir shopping for the end of the trip--lesson learned.

From Chile

Anyway, there is a crickett cage in our hostel! Natalie and I convinced the English guy (Aaron) to teach us the basic rules so we could try it out because Americans don't know anything about cricket except that it's kind of like baseball. There's still a lot of the game that doesn't make sense to us. I think Aaron got tired of us making references to baseball as he tried to explain, but we still had a lot of fun.

No comments: