June 14, 2008

Thoughts on graduation

The sun comes up and goes away, so does graduation day...

FINALLY! College has been a defining experience where I've gotten the chance to learn, grow, and thrive. Even though it took me an extra year, I have no regrets. I'm glad I took the time to explore--it's been an enjoyable journey throughout where I've entertained the idea of becoming an anthropologist, a designer, a sociologist, a teacher, and have somehow ended up in marketing.

Life is a crazy journey and college has been a great jumping off point. I've met a lot of great people, camped under the open stars at Red Mountain for an archaeological dig, done multiple road trips with friends, happy hour hops with co-workers, a study abroard experience in China, completed a full marathon, skydived, white water rafted, indulged in new hobbies, backpacked through Europe, was the editor-in-chief of a deparment magazine, worked at a theme park, a coffehouse, and landed a great internship. It's definetely been an eventful five years, and I'm not sure if I'm ready to let them go.

I've straddled the working world and student life for so long, and I've had fun doing it. I think I'm going to miss the balancing act and the crazy chaos associated with trying to do it all. The 9 to 5 (and sometimes later) from here on out seems daunting. I'm going to need a diversion--something to break up the monotony...and I'm starting to wonder if my little weekend escapes will be enough to sustain my appetite and need for adventure...

Life is what you make of it, right? Hopefully, it only gets better from here.

No comments: