June 3, 2008

Gear Review: Keen Newport H2

I got these a month ago for my little weekend excursions. The fit is great and they're comfortable and light weight, which makes them easy to pack. After three hikes and 20 + miles they've held up pretty well. Even wet, these shoes provide great traction. I loved the ease with which you can river cross and go from wet to dry without any problems.

The only negative? They aren't designed for longer hikes. My feet were feeling it after the 10 mile mark. The light weight construction means that there isn't as much cushioning as your standard pair of heavy hiking boots. The best use is for short day hikes with water. Also, if you do a rocky trail, those little annoying rocks will sometimes get stuck inside the shoe. Overall, I'm happy with my Keens.

No comments: