March 26, 2008

Sea cave kayaking



The kayaking excursion was amazing. The Channel Islands are known for their natural sea caves. From far away they're pretty impressive, but up close they're stunning. Paddling through the first cave was such a rush! It opened up into a high cathedral ceiling, and for awhile I just paddled back and forth admiring the massiveness of its unspoken beauty. I wish I could have posted pictures of the caves, but I haven't gotten around to water-proofing my camera, and didn't want to lose another camera to the water.

The last cave we went through our guide appropriately named, "the washing machine." There were three openings where the tide rushed in. The goal was to go in and get out, without getting squished against the cave walls while being tossed around like a pair of socks in the spin cycle. It was sooooo much fun!


No comments: