January 23, 2009

Concha y Toro

From Chile

Wine tasting in Chile is a must. Wine is now one of the country's largest exports, and you can always find plenty of the good stuff in the markets and botellarias, or you can go straight to the source and do some tasting at the vineyards.

From Chile

Concha y Toro
is a beautiful vineyard about an hour away from Santiago. There are fliers in just about every hostel offering packages to Concha y Toro, or you can try to navigate your way there by public transporation.

The $7.000 CLP admission includes a guided tour in English or Spanish, two tastings, and a souvineer glass. The tour was really informative. We learned about the history of the vineyard, saw the gorgeous mansion with French architecture and 22 rooms, the immense gardens, the acres of grapes, and the cellar with barrels and barrels of fine wine.

From Chile

We tasted a sweet white wine and a rich red wine. It was really good...although I really don't know anything about wines, and I probably can't tell the difference between the boxed wine and the expensive stuff.

From Chile
Still, I was so impressed that I decided to buy a bottle home for a gift. How I will fit it in my backpack and travel with it for the next 6 and a half weeks...I still don't know...we'll see if it makes it back home...

No comments: